As with many others this has not been a good start to the new year as this will be my third week of illness and I would admit to being baffled by it but for the last two years of crazy pandemic measures. It is odd because I worked this week and felt slightly better but by yesterday I was again experiencing symptoms of a head cold with earache and sinus problems plus a great lassitude. I count myself lucky in that I had only the one jab and have refused any such since but I have never known so many people suffering with nastier than usual colds and flu. Cold remedies, Olbas oil and Vicks vapour rub plus plenty of fluids and rest should help and some fresh air as I recommence my daily walks. From next week I will be working the three days a week and a much better work / life balance.
I have started work on a model figure, a pikeman from the English Civil War as I wanted to try something different and more colourful than my usual armour and aircraft. In my teens I was an avid reader of books about the ECW and I also painted small metal figures representing that era, albeit very badly painted. I studied this period in depth at university and it is many years since I have looked at the subject. This figure was bought last year for a cheap price and I also bought a couple of books about the period including the Nine Years War in Ireland during the late sixteenth century. That book is yet still to arrive.
I realised last night that despite the 'orrible leurgy I was glad to get home and make a start on this build, at least for half an hour. For me a good sign as this is more important to me than the paid work I do and indicates I am already moving towards full retirement mode at a future date. Managerialism is creeping in more and more and is very much at odds with a professional caring approach to working with damaged people. Yes, some managerialism is required but the move is very much to resources, units, costs, measured outcomes and if the poor buggers don't fit, discharge them. Alongside that is the increasing admin demands to show we have done the work and protected the organisation against future blame and claims. I guess I am just a grumpy old bugger past my prime in the bright shiny eyes of the young, vibrant progressive youngsters now coming in. It has also been a sad week as I am discharging or transferring my caseload of patients and some I have worked with for over four years and the next three weeks will see more of this. My new role is more traditionally nursing in aspect but I am looking forward to that but when I eventually leave that post I will be replaced by a Band 4 assistant practitioner who will be much cheaper than me. We are already seeing it happen in other teams and I guess it is one way to keep costs down. Strange how the fifth wheel well paid jobs that have zero contact with patients proliferate and add zero value to patient care, always at higher bands?
Hopefully if you do have any contact with the "envy of the world" this coming week it is only by reading about it. Take care and stay warm.
TTFN.


2 Comments:
You perfectly sum up the problems of the NHS as seen by informed outsiders/consumers. As I've said before, you are the only person I know who is employed by the NHS who does anything other than defend the dinosaur organisation. Which, of course, is part (most?) of the problem.
Good luck on The Retirement Plan, hope it all works out.
I suspect many employed in the NHS are aware of the problems but say very little about it. Sadly, it's an organisation where if you speak outside of the accepted narrative you are deemed an heretic and historically that never ended well, nor does it end well currently for apostates from other mainstream religious dogmas (Salman Rushdie).
Post a Comment
<< Home