Monday, June 17, 2019

Hooray! A whole week off and I really need it as I noticed I was tired and tetchy at work. After having three people in crisis during the past week I was worn out. Plus a week of non-stop rain which at times felt monsoon like with floods and blocked roads, all in all a busy week. The weekend was spent modelling but during the dry spells I got some gardening done. Spring cabbages planted out in the raised bed and an organic slug control scattered around the young plants. Fingers crossed that will work and we'll have home grown cabbages later this year.


The tomatoes and chilli plants are all in pots which I will move into bigger pots when the time is right. I was offered some other plants but I want to keep the garden more manageable this year so just a few plants. The wild seeds we scattered has resulted in one solitary poppy...let's see what happens when we finally get some sun.

Some models completed and set out on display with the tiny Polikarpov I-16 if Spanish Republic colours...


The Walrus also finally completed but what I have learned from this build is the need for better rigging material than the cotton thread.


I ordered some of this...


It's elasticated and attaches using superglue so it can be attached and then stretched to fit, at least that's the theory and I will see what happens in practice! I intend to find a local craft shop as I am sure I can buy similar thread at a better price but also to see what else they have that can be used in modelling.

As for work, I have an 'informal' interview this week for promotion within the team as I had informed my boss of my application for another team and she moved very quickly to ensure I can stay. As she put it, I will be paid a better salary for the work I am already doing...Yes, exactly!  I cancelled my trip to Essex as this falls slap bang in the middle of that and I will have to ensure a long weekend off so I can pop down to see my mum and the rest of the family.  Otherwise this week will see me walking, modelling and getting some reading in.

TTFN.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Glad your boss is finally waking up to your worth. Good luck with the interview.

We've had problems with lack of germination of wild flower seeds too. I'll be interested to hear how the slug control goes (and what you are using).

Might a sewing shop have the sort of thread you need? Polyester thread is much stronger than cotton (and comes in different thicknesses - ask for help as the displays of spools of thread are not at all helpful even to regular sewers like me), and 'buttonhole thread' is strongest of all.

7:24 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Forgot to say - those planes you've made look great!

7:25 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you BW.
Mrs C wants to visit a crafty shop for new knitting needles and wool. I'll ask for thread then as well as check out what stock might be useful for modelling. I have a lot of glass half beads in various colours as they are useful as well as piles of lolly sticks in various colours. There may be stuff I can use for dioramas.

3:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home