Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Pubs...





My first 'local' as a whippersnapper young man.
The Three Compasses is still there and going strong.I wonder if it still lets in sixteen year olds for their first pub beers.Probably not as allowing 16 year olds in a 'proper' local pub to drink sensibly amongst older pubgoers who would soon put the youngster right is politically incorrect.Instead, they can drink very strong ciders and lagers at the age of 13 0r 14 with a gang of other equally bored youths in the local park or bus shelter prior to a bout of wanton vandalism.
I can't remember my first beer; it was a bitter but I have no idea which brewery.The pub at that time was a rough old boozer,friendly and a real working man's pub.I eventually moved onto exploring other pubs with mates of mine who looked old enough to be served.Mostly around Crouch End, Muswell Hill and Finsbury Park with at least one weekly excursion to the West End for the clubs.
Courtesy of our 'Old Boy's' football club I was introduced to real ale and I enjoyed Abbot's and Wadwoth's 6x.Mind you, that was alternated with pints of snakebite and black.The folly and indestructibility of youth...I've long ago lost count of the beers I've drunk and the pubs I have drunk in.Certainly a lot of them around North London.I am hoping to pop back in the summer and revisit one or two, as well as catch up with some mates whom I've not seen for many years.
TTFN.

2 Comments:

Blogger Seany said...

First regular pub? The one I frequent now (although I've visited a "few" others in between)

First pint? Unsure, but probably cider. I did go through a lager phase at some point, but quickly ditched it in favour of Guinness.

First bitter? Stones. It was no better then either.

First real ale? Theakstons Old Peculiar.

First thing I'll be doing after work this Friday? Hmmm...

8:22 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

I'll join you Friday for that extra special post work and 48 hours of freedom pint.Batemans XB or Tiger if available.Unless Dave comes up trumps with another new beer.

9:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home