Sunday, August 09, 2026


 *Big sigh*.

The above photo shows a Finch (Gold?) I rescued yesterday from the two Freds after a brief chase in the garden. I contacted the local animal rescue and dropped him off to their centre plus an on-line donation because our cats had caused this problem, little bleeders. It is usually butterflies and moths they capture although a large caterpillar was amongst yesterday’s offerings as well and a cricket the day before. Hopefully this is the first and only bird they capture although they will be hanging around any of the last remaining nesting sites. 

Still no rain here unless one counts the 1mm we had a couple of nights ago. The garden is a brown dust bowl although the Snapdragons are thriving and providing a lovely splash of pink. The weeds thrive…The temperatures are again in the high twenties but cloudy so there is a modicum of relief at times. No.1 son has returned from two weeks holiday in Sweden where it was cooler, often wet and an occasional warm day. But we have noticed the spider webs in the garden which usually presages autumn although some of the on-line meteorological sites claim the dry spell could last well into autumn. Hopefully not because many areas in England are now in drought conditions. Hopefully the weather is better where you are. 

TTFN.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The number of spiders, indoors and out, is definitely autumnal, you are right - good spot, I hadn't thought of that before.

19 degrees and cloudy here today. Drizzle threatening, but not here yet. I wouldn't like the south's heat these days.

- BW

3:01 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Moderate drought here, not as bad as we've had in recent years. I have seen a rather brown UK on the news, though, where usually green.

Good job saving the bird. You may not see it often, but outdoor cats can get quite a few birds.

1:05 am  
Blogger Scoakat said...

A week and a half ago I was driving on an interstate at 70 mph when I saw a bird fluttering toward my car on the left. I don't know if it was hit or blown by a larger vehicle ahead, but I heard it hit the side of my car and saw it in the rear view mirror fall to the road in between lanes. I'd like to think it was safe enough there to recover and get away, but I know better. I've thought of that sadly, since. I hadn't felt the need to get that off my chest, but it's what I thought about when I was here before and has entered my thoughts ever since it happened.

11:16 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

It’s horrible when that happens as it happened to Me with a Barn Owl some years back, stays on your mind for ages.
Still no rain here and media now talking about drought conditions. We have had a hosepipe ban for a few weeks now and today’s temperature locally is 30
Celsius.

1:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home