Thursday, March 10, 2022

 Well, the past couple of days has put my Sunday blog into perspective. 

I felt very unwell yesterday with a blinding headache that lasted all day and feeling very out of sorts, One of my colleagues measured my blood pressure yesterday when the working day ended, inevitably a late finish and I was horrified. High blood pressure reading and well into the red zone. I have booked myself in for tests at the GP and I will be joining the local fat busters group as urgent lifestyle changes are needed. A real wake up call and thankfully the headache is finally receding. Paracetamol yesterday and this morning plus a small aspirin tablet last night has helped at last. Looking back at the Sunday post today and I must have had a sense that I wasn't right but, talking with a colleague and she said she and others thought I looked unwell on Monday. I think I have not been right this past month and yesterday was a shot across the bows for me to do something about this. We have just said goodbye to a colleague who finally retired and she joked I would be next but not this way! Hence I phoned in sick today and happily my colleagues supported this decision.


Ever the optimist and I had two kits I ordered a couple of weeks ago delivered yesterday and today I finally unwrapped them and looked through them. I have no other kits ordered and no plans for any new kits for the next six months and none on my to buy list. I have several I want to work on this year and reduce the stash plus I now realise that unless I sort my health out, I might not get to build some of these kits! Looking at the triggers for hypertension and I tick many of those boxes which I already know but ignored and stress is a major contributor. As an aside and writing of stress, the colleague who left was contacted during her final fifteen minutes and questioned about her response during a serious incident last year. Her response was to break down and cry and we were reminded of the levels of stress this job causes. But also how management really are insensitive and so far removed from our daily work that they would consider this normal behaviour. Thinking about that, how we respond to stress and rushed or missing meals, eating junk food, little time to relax and weight gain, no wonder I have hypertension. 

As BW said, thank goodness for these planes and tanks as the modelling is very relaxing for me but with better weather I will add daily walking as exercise and a better diet to lose weight and regain my health. Time for the healer to heal myself! Starting today with a quiet day reading and fussing the cats and I was due to go in tomorrow on my day off to support a patient at an appointment but I might well cancel that and stop going the extra mile. After all, managers were happy to throw me out of work just a few weeks ago and time to put myself first.  Time for a quiet doze as I am still very tired and Sherlock is pestering to cuddle up beside me.

TTFN.

5 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Yes, you must look out for yourself. I've been on meds for blood pressure for a couple years now. It had been creeping up for some time. Good news is I am down 20 pounds since I was hospitalized in November! A nice surprise, and mostly just by watching what I eat.

But no one else will look out for you like you can for yourself. Good to hear you will get it checked and tested. We're not kids anymore!

4:06 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

So sorry to hear. Please take some time off, and not just a couple of days.

As you say, 'they' didn't care about you before, and while you may feel a responsibility to those who you support, ultimately your needs (and those of your wife) must come way above those of others.

As someone once said to me when I was seriously overdoing it going the extra (ten) mile(s) at work, "They don't throw any medals in the grave..."

And as for how 'they' treated your colleague in her last 15 minutes... I am speechless.

6:13 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you both for your kind words. Tired now but darts on and feet up, check up is in the morning so an early night needed.

Yes, Scott, only one person responsible for sorting my health out and that’s me. No pretending all is ok.

I remain astonished BW at what was done to my former colleague. Truly awful and an eye opener as what is left of the team we’re all present and witnessed it.

7:15 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

I hope the checkup went well. You may likely be waiting on test results, as I am. Hopefully only good news for you.

10:25 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you Scott and hopefully good for you too with the results.

12:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home