An update of the Wellington build and in answer to Scott's question I am challenging myself with this build, working slowly and carefully.
It has so far proved a pleasurable build with good fit of the parts and I have almost completed the internal structure, some paint still required and a final clear coat. I have cemented it in to one half of the fuselage but the fuselage halves are dry fitted for now.
I also made a start on the engines and once the fuselage is cemented together, I will look at a basic prime coat of paint for it and the wings. The instructions are somewhat vague in parts but with thorough research and some excellent photos on-line I hope to build a reasonably good model of the aircraft. I hadn't realised that this was the one British bomber that was produced in different marks throughout the war and served on every front. I wouldn't mind building another kit and using aftermarket decals for Coastal Command or the Mediterranean. Most of that work inside will not be seen, especially since the fuselage windows were generally covered up during operations. But I am more than happy to do the work, a sense of completion as it were. However, I have not addressed the internal mould marks because they will not be seen and perfectionism can be taken too far. I'll never win gold medals at modelling competitions but since I have no desire to enter any I have few worries on that score!
TTFN.


7 Comments:
Who needs competition for an escapist hobby, anyway? A novel idea, maybe, on occasion, but would change how you view your hobby entirely and void the escapism aspect.
I find it interesting when there is so much detail in something that will then be unable to be seen, in modeling. Modelers pride and practice, maybe? Or just more to add to the kits price?
*agrees with Scoakat*
Something for you Scott about Wisconsin from a local folklorist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPvqYd9amkE
I listen to the programme on spotify but he also has the show go out on You tube.
I forgot to respond to your comment Scott. Yes, competitiveness would spoil the hobby for me and it is escapism, much needed in this current crazy world.
Modellers pride and practice but it does also add to the price of kits although this particular kit is relatively cheap. Interestingly, the detail of the geodesic construction is overstated on the wings. Some modellers will sand that back to achieve a more realistic look but I'll happily leave it as it is.
Thank you, I think I've heard of most but this may be a good refresher. I'm listening to the beginning now, and I think I've heard this guest speak on similar before - maybe also upon your recommendation!
And may I ask what you mean by "the detail of the geodesic construction"? It's a new word to me and I just want to understand the detail you're describing.
Geodetic construction or geodesic. It shows on the model but the Wellington had it for the airframe and wings.
Here's a link to explain it all:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodetic_airframe
Post a Comment
<< Home