Thursday, February 01, 2024

 


The funeral went well and despite Sue and I having caught a dreadful cold  I was still able to attend it. To be honest I'd have hired a taxi to take me there rather than miss it but the drive was smooth and uneventful. Unfortunately Sue has been hit very hard by the flu as we realised it wasn't a cold but something nastier and she stayed home. Four days of little sleep and no food is not a combination I ever wish to repeat with a long journey and an emotional funeral on top plus meeting several relatives for the first time in many years. It was a non religious service and my sister read out a wonderful eulogy which made us cry and laugh with some of the stories from my mums life. That's a picture of her in better days during the seventies and below a small sample from a larger collection of photos.


She was a strong, feisty independent woman with a great sense of fun and humour who had at times a very hard life including a very poor and hard childhood in rural Ireland. I'm immensely proud of her and she has left a huge gap in our lives. I still expect the phone to ring and hear her latest opinion about someone she has just watched on TV.  Life goes on albeit sadder and with a rich thread of gold and purple missing from its tapestry.

As stated above, both Sue and I acquired a nasty bout of flu from our last hospital visit where a woman in the waiting room was coughing fit to burst a lung. Four days spent either in bed or wrapped up in layers in the armchair and attending to the cats needs as and when required. I left for the funeral but decided to stay just the one night as I was worried about Sue who has been laid low by this on top of her recent health issues. I also heard today from a work colleague that there is an outbreak of covid and norovirus at work, a nasty combination guaranteed to floor anyone. So much for the mRNA fauxines (It's all a con!) as there appear to be no end of bugs and viruses out there but it is winter and colds and flus do make their mark known especially once immune systems are reduced or damaged. Although we are both slowly on the mend I suspect the rest of this week will be spent quietly recuperating and I finally managed a nights sleep last night uninterrupted by my coughing. 

Stay well folks and if anyone comes near with a nasty cough do your best to avoid them, Failing that, spray them with Dettol.

TTFN.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Your Mum's personality really shines through in those photos.

Glad the long wait to say goodbye is finally over, and that all went off OK.

It's unsurprising that there are so many bugs circulating - I'm told that nurses and auxilliary staff (at least in SX and Numberland) are now allowed only 5 days off if they get covid and don't need to retest before going back to work on day 6. If they need more than 5 working days to recover it has to be taken unpaid!!!

I think that most people seem to have learnt nothing about keeping a distance, washing hands regularly and not going out to public places if unwell.

3:57 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you BW. She was full of life and chatted with anyone and everyone.

Yes, astonishing the volte face regarding covid and people are ignoring any common sense about any cold or virus.

6:14 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Your mother was beautiful, and I'm glad the funeral went well. I'm so sorry you were sick for it, and Sue who must have been terribly disappointed to miss it. I'm very sorry for your loss.

'Tis the cold and flu season, for sure. Hopefully you both get well sooner than later. Take care.

10:42 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thanks Scott, I can feel the leurgy is leaving me and this morning I feel much better. Sue is making slower progress but fingers crossed this is the last of it.
We have default weather of grey skies and rain!

8:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home