Sunday, January 17, 2021

 Somewhat battered and tired this weekend from a busy week at work so my focus this weekend is modelling, listening to music and podcasts. I cancelled the sky sports package as soulless empty football stadiums and little else of interest finally prompted me to do this. It took me thirty minutes as the virgin media website doesn't provide any option to do this and the lengthy phone call I suspect is deliberately designed to make it difficult for customers to make changes that result in paying out less money! But it's done and it is one unnecessary thing to pay out for. I would like to get rid of the TV, cancel the TV licence and use the computer for anything on-line I choose to watch. Sue doesn't want to get rid of the TV so that will have to stay.



The Lightning will be a build depicting an aircraft from 11 RAF Squadron based at Binbrook during the seventies / eighties. Binbrook is just down the road from us and is no longer an airforce base having been converted to an industrial estate. There is one Lightning there which is being restored by this group of enthusiasts although there is another group based in Leicester also restoring a Lightning.


I also have the Dornier Do G flying boat on the table and I will work slowly on that build as my focus will be on the Cold War group build.


Quick progress so far in the past twenty four hours until a small piece of the fuselage snapped off! My clumsiness as I dry fitted the wings and the broken piece just would not fit back. I have thin plasticard that I can cut and shape to fit but could I find it...So a small shaped piece from my spares box and sprue goo brushed on to melt it into place. Once set I will carefully sand it down and then re-scribe the panel lines. Gaps filled with sprue goo and the seams of the fuselage halves also filled with the same and sanded back until the seams have gone.

Another reason is the photograph below (Courtesy Neville Sissons) of Squadron Leader George Butler DSO DFC who was with 11 Squadron in Burma and was a local man in Grimsby and Laceby. I am thinking of a future build of the Hurricane below and displaying this alongside the Lightning. His mother was Norwegian hence the badge on the Hurricane.


I hope all is well with you folks during these trying times and I intend to quietly enjoy the remainder of a delightfully lazy Sunday.

TTFN.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Does the plastic in these models become brittle with age?

7:13 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

That's an interesting question BW. I would guess that the various chemicals used in the paints, glues, clear coats, etc...give some protection and some modellers have kits they built in the fifties and sixties. Some also strip these oils builds of paint and repaint them. There are also different plastics used and I buy kits that are twenty or thirty years old as well as newer models. What is more likely to break or give way is the glues holding the plastics together.

That leads to another question which is what do we do when we run out of space to display them? That was asked recently and many of us replied storage in old boxes but some stated simply they destroy them, throw them away or give them away. I have a small stash of fifty or so kits but some have hundreds if not thousands of kits, too many to build. There will then be garage sales when the modeller has died or kits are thrown out. One guy in the US came upon a skip full of kits and the woman said he could have them for free but he paid her a few hundred dollars for the lot which he estimated was worth thousands. He told her this but she accepted the smaller amount as a bonus as she was throwing them out anyway.

1:37 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

I would also add that small children and as I know from experience cats are the deal enemies of built models! I had to repair two builds earlier this week when the smallest cat sat on them!!

1:39 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

I was wondering as eg plastic bowls certainly get brittle with age. I was thinking that if one buys old kits, there might be a danger that bits/tags etc break off during the build.

It does sound like cats are more of a danger than old plastic mind ;)

3:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home