Friday, May 02, 2025


 Yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far with the highest temperature of 25°C being achieved. Lovely to sit out and soak up the sun over the last three days but today, back to normal Spring temperatures. My neighbour’s Elderflower tree flourishing and covered in blossoms. The cats sprawled out in various shady nooks and crannies although the kittens, now young adult cats would invariably perform feline gymnastics in pursuit of flies and other insects.

Apart from enjoying the welcome sunshine I have also finally taken up voluntary work. A local wildlife charity which rescues wildlife from songbirds up to deer but, my role is a minor one. I will be called upon to provide transport for sick or injured small mammals and birds to and from various wildlife sanctuaries once or twice a month. There are several of us new volunteers in this role and we had an induction over Skype yesterday evening. This caught my eye as it will only be occasional trips out, involves wild animals which I have an interest in and does not involve too much contact with the public. I wanted something that has little resemblance to my previous work as a nurse and nothing to do with mental health services.We will be paid mileage and the furthest travel will be over to Manchester or Norfolk, both routes I know well. I am quite excited about it and looking forward to my first trip out.



I have also been working on a new model build, a Soviet T28 medium tank with some figures although I haven’t yet decided on a diorama. It is an old ICM kit, a Ukrainian company and generally a very nice build with few problems encountered. The figures are a work in progress and the tank hull and base are dry fitted as are the tracks; all easily removable for painting. I still have two builds requiring weathering and the F-104 aircraft still needs painting but airbrushing in hot weather isn’t to be recommended. 

Time to put the garden chairs out for more solar therapy.

TTFN.


5 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Good on you for volunteering. It sounds pretty interesting, too. Was there any training or requirements, or just registration?

We've hit that temp once, maybe twice so far, but always get cooler again. Looks like we'll vary from 13 to 23 for highs this next week, they're guessing. I find the differences in our climates interesting.

I hope your back has been much better, I know how that goes. Have a great weekend, delcatto.

11:17 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thanks Scott, yes pleased to have the volunteering job.
We did an induction and initial training on line and I think there were several of us present.

The temperatures are back to low teens during the day and single figures at night. On the coast we tend to have lower temperatures and sea breezes.

I hope you have a great weekend too.

12:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't realise that Skype still existed. How does it compre to Zoom and Teams?

Sounds an excellent volunteer job. And I know exactly what you mean about wanting to avoid MH and The Public after a working lifetime of them.

The 3 days of summer were pleasant. Let's hope there will be more... Those days are not today though.

- BW

9:11 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

They called it Skype BW but I think it was Zoom as I have that downloaded now.
Yes, that’s the main attraction for me, helping wildlife but minimal contact with the public.
Grey clouds, very windy and intermittent showers here. I hope that wasn’t summer!

10:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just checked and Skype died on May 5th. It's now been assimilated with Teams.

- BW

8:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home