Tuesday, August 26, 2008


















Yep...the above sums up work over the past week.
We are either inundated with work or very little happens. However, it has given me time to consider my options seeing as how I am stuck there for the duration. My OU studies for next year will be a return to history because quite clearly my nursing studies haven't helped me to progress my career. Roman history appears quite appealing although there is a course about European identities and culture which also interests me. Either of these will contribute 60 points to completing my degree at long last.
Apparently I can retire in nine years time at the comparatively young age of 57 years. Having mental health officer status means that every year after twenty years service counts as double. Unsurprisingly this has been phased out and there are a few old buggers like me who still have this status. Although I have nursed for 23 years I had a year out doing agency work so my current pension status is 22 years. By the time I have thirty years completed I am entitled to a full pension. What worries me is that every person I know who has retired on a full pension has died soon after. The cumulative effects of mental health nursing has obviously done for them. I have no desire to join them so other options include considering my health now when I have the opportunity to prevent problems rather then having to do so because the grim reaper is sharpening his scythe just behind me. Mind you, I might not be able to retire because mortgages and loans will still need to be paid. I might be able to retire and collect trolleys in Sainsbury's instead. C'est la vie.
TTFN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home