Wednesday, May 18, 2016

I thought I would venture into the spare room which currently resembles a jumble sale. No.1 son has plonked a lot of stuff in there along with much of my old stuff. The first thing to sort out was a very large box of old LP's and singles donated by my mother, plus my own collection. She's a big Country & Western fan and. much as I like some of it, I can also live without it. After a brief sort out into pile A. - charity shop and pile B. - keep it or consider ebay, I had to have a look see on the net for values of some of these records. Not a lot although one album 'The Fool' from 1969 may be worth about thirty - forty quid. Needless to say it is not one of my mother's albums as it's fair to say she never became a Hippie in the late sixties. We had a group of Hippies living downstairs in our house in the late sixties and an interesting lot they were too. Telling children to not mix with that lot led to us immediately showing great interest in their clothes, scents, language and behaviour!


I will keep the Elvis albums because I do like his music and I will keep some of the Queen, Bowie, Cream and Genesis albums. Sadly, most of my vinyl and my Hi-Fi was sold when we were on our uppers years ago. Food on the table and the rent took precedence over owning material goods. Boney M, Abba and various Blue Beat singles amongst the pile will be kept. You can't beat a bit of Boney M at Christmas!


This reminds me of those hoarding TV programmes where people hang on to all sorts of stuff including rubbish and cannot bear to get rid of it. Apart from these few albums the rest will go to charity shops. A friend suggested selling them at car boot sales but I have no interest in that. I'd sell them but end up buying and bringing home other things instead (books!). I am considering visiting my friends stall at Hemswell just to see what it is he sells. Whatever, Cats Protection or the Samaritans will receive the albums I don't want plus a variety of other bits and pieces. Just for the record, some of the albums I bought were touched by the hand of Annie Lennox when she worked / helped out in Spanish Moon Records in Crouch End in the late seventies. Maybe that would add value to them on ebay?*

TTFN.

*Very unlikely!

2 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Sounds like a fun day! But I would probably get lost in the music and lose my original purpose. I have two big boxes of old LPs that I should try to sell, mostly eighties heavy metal. Not doing much good just sitting in my closet.

11:21 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

That's exactly what I thought, it's no good sitting there unlistened to. It did lead to me listening to music albeit on Spotify.

3:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home