Friday, March 11, 2016

I spent yesterday afternoon putting together a raised bed frame for vegetable growing. Discovering that some necessary new Philips screwdrivers were missing and that the Philips drill bit enthusiastically 'ate' the screw heads, I was forced to use an old screwdriver.  Blisters on my right hand was the end result but the frame was completed. 



The frame is 6 feet by 4 feet and should provide a good base for the vegetables. I have plans to plant tomatoes, chillies, carrots,lettuce, salad leaves and radishes. I also have some aubergine seeds which will prove to be an interesting experiment although I may plant them separately in a tub with a cloche over it. Shopping for compost will be a priority as is covering the whole shebang. The cats will regard it with nice friable soil as their new toilet. I had an audience of three cats and the dog as I huffed, puffed and occasionally swore during its construction. The neighbours cat had come to see what the noise was about and he's keen to make our acquaintance but the dog has other ideas about that. Fingers crossed for a dry weekend and I can crack on with it.

TTFN.



2 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Looks good. Don't go cheap on the soil. When I built ours I used a lot of 'top soil' in the mix and it is not what top soil used to be, at least over here. More filler and stones. Been adding as much of our own composted soil as we can ever since.

3:15 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

Good idea that Scoakat. I've bought some soil but I'm thinking of adding some better material to the mix as well as from my composter. It is a huge amount of material.

11:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home