Friday, January 08, 2016

I have an unplanned day off from work today. After delivering Tigger to the vet and saying our last goodbyes, I found I required an early night. However, waking up at 01.30 and any further sleep impossible I eventually got up to discover the dog had vomited copiously throughout the house. I also discovered where the bulk of my pistachio nuts had gone to. The two little rascals had scattered them across the kitchen floor & the dog dutifully 'hoovered' them up, shells and all. Thirty minutes of cleaning and I was most definitely wide awake! If it is not various nuts and, we are still finding stray walnuts scattered throughout the house, it is chillies, garlic, sprouts, etc... What is it with cats and their desire to knock things to the floor? The dog is fine now although I am struggling to stay awake. Excuse me whilst I see what package has thumped to the floor from the postie...


My latest purchase has arrived and is pictured above. Although I order many of my books via the kindle, they tend to be novels whilst factual books, particularly history books, I prefer in the original format. I can access them easily, read them time and again and use them for information more easily than digital. I ordered this book because my great grandfather became a naturalised U.S. citizen in Hartford, Connecticut in 1867. I am still not sure if he served and fought in the civil war but his name has popped up in the records. However, there are several with his name in various Connecticut regiments and it does not necessarily mean he served in the Union army. He made his money after the war and returned to Ireland with him still showing as alive when he was recorded in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. The latter he was recorded as being eighty years of age! I will have to badger my cousins when next I am in Ireland for access to family letters, documents ,etc...  as well as my father and one remaining uncle.

I took the opportunity to nip out early to pay some bills and I took a short cut through Freshney Place which is Grimsby's mall. Charity muggers by the score with two lots competing side-by-side for punters. A 'military' charity I'd never heard of and a children's charity I had also never heard of. Usually I ignore them because I will choose which charities I will donate to (RNLI, Sally Army and a local cat charity) and I dislike 'charities' which suckle on taxpayers money. The chap in military garb (a green beret and definitely not Royal Marines) made the mistake of stepping into my path, pushing a collection bucket at me and shouting something incomprehensible as he demanded money. I suggested he go away, stop obstructing me and demanding money in an intimidatory manner. Cue his decision to argue and my response was even blunter. I had seen a warning post on social media about these characters in Freshney Place and how a minuscule amount actually goes to charitable use with the rest funding these various chancers.  I walked on and informed the security guard that these chancers were hassling people in an aggressive fashion and requested he have a word with them. I am big and ugly enough to tell chuggers where to go but many others are intimidated by them into donating money.
Anyhow, I must away but I'd like to thank you for your kind words about the loss of Molly and Tigger. Some people will say "They're only cats" yet they were a part of our family and our lives for thirteen years. Happily now at peace and free from pain and discomfort.

TTFN.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

So sorry to hear.

I guess that Lemmy, Ed and David needed some felines for their next lives...


8:21 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

They'll be pestering them for attention!

9:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home