Saturday, January 16, 2016


Feeling rather sorry for myself as I once again have a cold, it set me to thinking. How many cold viruses are there? Apparently there are over 200 known cold viruses and an average of three colds per year which should keep us occupied for the full three score and ten years upon this mortal coil. But that is known cold viruses and I did wonder whether there are more nasty bogies lurking out there and where do they come from. Having wrapped up warm, sipping hot lemon drinks and started searching the net for answers I feel like Alice in Wonderland and I have fallen down the Rabbit hole.  I end up reading horrific 'what ifs' like this although it is more likely that an influenza epidemic will carry many of us away. Overuse of antibiotics is now leading to treatment resistant gonorrhoea as well as the spread of a variety of treatment resistant viruses in general. All fascinating and it keeps a geek like me happy for an hour or so but the answer to fighting my cold remains unchanged. Treat the symptoms by keeping warm, plenty of fluids and rest plus paracetamol to reduce any fever.

On the home front the Suzuki has had its MOT and the creaks, groans and general weariness that I had concerns about was proven correct. New coil springs and one wishbone later equals a much lighter wallet but it has to be done. I am dreading the MOT for the Lexus but hopefully it will pass and then I can sell it on. Much as I like it for comfort, style and speed when I need it, the running costs for a sixteen year old car is far too much. A middle-aged crisis fancy which I have enjoyed for a year and I will pass it on to someone who will hopefully appreciate it.  There is an owners club on farcebook where I can advertise it in the spring and offload it there. Fingers crossed.

TTFN.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

"Overuse of antibiotics is now leading to treatment resistant gonorrhoea as well as the spread of a variety of treatment resistant viruses in general."

With many farmers routinely administering whole-herd/flock etc antibiotic treatments when one beast is ill, it is not surprising that it has fed into the human food chain (even were it not for medics over-dispensing to get patients out of their surgeries).

I think that using only organic milk is one of the cheapest ways to protect yourself as much as possible.

Our sales of honey have been up a lot in recent weeks... lots of the local GPs now recommend hot honey and lemon with paracetemol/ibuprofen alternately, rather than Big Pharma's expensive and ineffectual offerings. Hurrah!

Good luck with the cars.

3:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home