Tuesday, December 01, 2015


I have been a Sherlock Holmes fan for over forty five years. Reading the stories from borrowed library books and then buying my own copies when I earned money from part-time employment whilst still at school. Frequent trips via the Red Bus Rover ticket when I was a nipper to Baker Street to gaze upon the street during the early seventies. This all came to mind when I stumbled across this on the net.


I remember going to see the play at the Richmond Theatre in September 1988. I never met Jeremy Brett although I did meet and have a brief chat with the delightful Edward Hardwicke. I have to admit that Jeremy Brett's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes is, for me, the definitive portrayal of the great detective. For a while I collected Sherlock Holmes stories and pastiches as well as various DVDs including the Basil Rathbone movies. I enjoy the Cumberbatch programmes but in my view he is not Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock Holmes is forever associated with a time, place and particularly a state of mind and imagination. That is not the early 21st century although it is fun to see it done and it is enjoyable all the same. Good escapist nonsense as was the original Conan Doyle stories and escapism is much needed in the current madness of the modern world and an increasingly worrying future.


As I am currently off sick from work I shall indulge in a feast of Sherlock Holmes and some M R James this afternoon whilst enjoying the delights of Vick's vapour rub and Lemsip.

TTFN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home