Sunday, May 10, 2015


A Sunday morning put to good use in the garden with mowing, weeding, planting out, etc... A reaffirmation of life beyond the craziness of the recent election and the media frenzy before, during and ever after. Tomato seeds have grown and I have now planted them into large pots with new compost including a coconut based compost to which one adds water and steps back as it expands. I am sticking to four tomato plants only as that should supply more than enough fruit. The raspberry plant is thriving as are the cucumber plants. All we need now is some sunshine!




I deliberately avoided social media including the blog as the election madness ensued. Yesterday's 'riot' in Westminster by various clowns, dupes, thugs and the ignorant shows how frustration, anger and resentment can flare up into violence. From a personal perspective I am not sure what to think about the election result. I feel a sense of relief that the adults will continue to govern although I am not entirely sure this government will be to my liking. The alternative would have been a weak and naive man buffeted by competing demands and an increasing chaos by his attempts to improve society. I guess my sense of relief accords with my being a middle-aged man who wants a quiet life. Time will tell and, although I did not vote for the Tories, my sense of relief might turn to horror and anger as a result of their actions.  Looking through twitter yesterday and the explosion of anger by some of the left expressed there that ordinary people would choose an alternative to their perceived bien pensant philosophy was astonishing. Seeing statements from some of these people that Tories should be beaten, killed, refused service in shops or removed from their jobs smacks of the worst kind of fascistic bullying. Absolutely astonishing that people can claim to care for others and society, then make these threats or goad others into violence because they voted Tory.  Hence the perfect grounding of my hands in soil and attending to growing plants. Perfect antidote to blind and mindless stupidity.
It is also an antidote to the last two extremely busy weeks at work as we are still short of four staff and covering their case-loads on top of our own workloads. There isn't even time for banter between colleagues any more because it is all go. The good news is that not only has No.1 son been promoted at work, he also passed his driving test. I no longer have to be available as the experienced driver to his learner. He's currently like a dog with two tails and I can have my weekends back and attend to the garden, amongst other things. The sun is out now so I must TTFN....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

"Seeing statements from some of these people that Tories should be beaten, killed, refused service in shops or removed from their jobs smacks of the worst kind of fascistic bullying."

And perfectly shows why we don't want *that* sort of people (or those they support) in charge.

Well done to your son.

And well done to you for surviving the work pressure. It amazes me that your 'seniors' can allow you to be put under such pressure. A case of the cobbler going worst shod, as ever, I presume?

8:51 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Hi Delcatto! I've noticed you hadn't posted in a couple weeks (you too, BW!), and I have been hearing about the election on other sites. It's not a lot of fun, right?

And I do agree it does feel good to get your hands dirty outside, in nice weather finally.

Congratulations to No. 1! That may free up some time for you. Just don't fill that time with more work, it sounds stressful to me.

12:26 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thanks folks. No.1 is gallivanting around in his car but he's already talking of buying a new model. We suggested he wait a while but youth always knows best!
Work is rapidly descending into farce as another colleague has gone off sick. Apart from today's assessments I have become a MH fire fighter as have my colleagues. We have suggested the analogy of a snowball rolling down hill to management but there are none so deaf...

7:04 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Can't you get your remaining colleagues to agree that you all go off sick? (even if it's only for however many days you can self-certify for)

Apart from the effects on you all of trying to carry this workload, you're not doing your patients any favours, in the longer term, by attempting to cope (although I totally understand the personal responsibility for trying to cope that you must all - as experienced MH professionals - feel in this).

9:28 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

I doubt we would get agreement on it although the team as a whole is now putting pressure on our line manager to act. The manager above is best not described here.

5:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home