Sunday, March 15, 2015

Blimey... I've only gorn and bought it!




It's fifteen years old but has a low mileage and it was a revelation driving it. It does feel strange driving a larger saloon compared with the Suzuki Wagon R. The latter is small, easy to park and it is like the Tardis inside. But the comfort, quiet and sheer luxury of the Lexus, despite being a much older car was wonderful. I have worked out that I now only drive approximately 8000 miles a year so I regard this as a good buy. I will be hit at the pumps and the car tax is £230-00 a year plus the inevitable servicing but I am happy to pay the price for a couple of years. I think my back will be grateful especially since the roads seem to be deteriorating and the traffic jams increasing. Writing of the latter, it's the time of year when local councils spend the remaining repair budget and we had the ludicrous situation last week where several roads were closed for road works. Two roads in particular leading to the A180 and motorists enjoyed the lengthy traffic queues for over an hour. I am trying to organise my Immingham and surrounding area visits for a couple of days and I can use the car for those days. I might then be able to bicycle for the local visits and planned office days where my current state of unfitness and inevitably slow cycling doesn't prevent me from working. Mind you, the last two weeks with various crises threw that plan out the window. Perhaps a folding bicycle plonked in the boot of the car might help. I'll be collecting the car later this week once it's had a full service and I guess the first stop will be to replace the stereo. It's an old tape machine and CD multi-changer so a new DAB and aux-in stereo to play the phone / MP3 off will be required. If I am to endure traffic jams I will need some chilled music or Radio 3 to keep my blood pressure down.  Another advantage with a new motor is that future trips to Essex will be done in comfort. I've been putting trips off because the journey there in the Suzuki is akin to slow torture and my back pays for it over the following week.
On the home front, the old lady Molly is sadly approaching her demise. She has had problems for years with her back legs and the right leg often dislocates. I generally scoop her up and gently slip her leg back in place. This last week it happened again and we had to allow her to sit quietly in a corner because she wouldn't allow us to go near her. She slept and the next morning she was back to her usual self. However, I know I will be taking her to the vet sometime this year for her final journey if there is a further deterioration in her health. In cat years she is nineteen and in human years she is now in her nineties. It doesn't stop her hitting the boys when they pester her even if it is akin to being assaulted by a slight breeze.  Time for coffee and then I'll be taking No.1's car out to collect him from work. He then drives it home... roll on a date for his driving test!
TTFN.


4 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Congratulations on the new car! We all need to spoil ourselves now and again. A cheaper alternative to a new stereo is a cassette adapter. I've had one for years now, I plug it into my phone to listen to mp3s every day. Then again, it IS a Lexus, enjoy it!

6:08 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Cheers Scoakat.
I have to admit to being excited & I am by no means a petrolhead! I've just looked up the official servicing costs & gulped. I hope my local garage mechanics know their way around a Lexus.

6:23 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Have you picked it up yet? Hope you enjoy it - but, no mad 17 year old driving stunts ;)

Molly is an amazing age for a cat.

11:26 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thanks BW.
I've been driving it for a week now & it's very comfortable.
Molly is still going strong. She demolished a sausage this morning so a good appetite on her!

9:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home