Tuesday, February 11, 2014



We have had rain, snow, sleet, sunshine and lots of gusty winds so far today. I took the pooch out for her walk this morning in the snow and much as we both enjoyed it, both she and I were glad to get home and warm in front of the fire. A hot shower, a pot of coffee and a grilled breakfast saw me right as ninepence. The wind is currently howling around the house and luckily I have no need to go out in it.
I had a blip on my diet over the past week so this coming week I will be sticking to plan and behaving myself. I spoke with a woman at fat fighters last night and she retires this week from  over thirty years in nursing as a RGN. She stated "It's just got too busy, complicated and I've had enough... although I'll miss it". I explained that I am planning to return to nursing and she agreed that one either has it in their blood or not. We both agreed that part time and local would be the preferable option. I have sent my application form off electronically to the local social enterprise and I will await their response.

I had a brief look at the news this morning and my conclusion remains the same regarding the floods. The environment agency should be ended; local government should work with local people and local agencies to manage this issue and some common sense applied to building appropriate housing in food plains.  Further examples, such as this type of housethis or perhaps a house on stilts.


I do like the above house although I suspect costs will ensure any house built will look like the one pictured below...


MDF as the preferred material although with the floods will we be able to grow bamboo as well as paddy fields? All joking aside, some serious thought must be given to the current building upon flood plains, as well as planting more trees and reducing the amount of concreting over soil. Sadly, short termism and big government and big business is unlikely to see any sensible solutions soon.

TTFN.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

In many places building on stilts is the norm, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to adjust people to that kind of building. But I can overestimate common sense sometimes!

1:18 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

I agree, it would be fairly easy to implement and for people to adapt to it. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

9:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home