Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I finally completed the Future Learn course today; England in the time of Richard 3rd and most enjoyable and informative it was. It has whetted my appetite for further study and I am looking through the Open University prospectus for some ideas. Having discovered that my studies from the early 1990's does not count towards a qualification (Boo!) I am free to consider what other courses I am interested in as well as other universities.If I am a low wage earner and accessing a student loan, there are possibilities about juggling work and studies so that I may be better off trying the local universities (Lincoln or Hull). Accruing student loan debts at my time of life is not something I feel comfortable with. However, I also have post grad. qualifications from the AMHP and BIA courses at Lincoln University so do I go with them? That would limit me to a social sciences / health Masters studying and I am not sure I want to pursue that path. As I am also in the position of no longer needing to study to further my career the academic world may now be my oyster! Decisions, decisions... albeit decisions I am glad to be in a position to consider. I shall have to ponder this further but in the meantime I will look at what else is available on the Future Learn site and I can recommend it to you.
TTFN.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Provided that you haven't undertaken a full-time degree-level course before, you can get a student loan (tuition and maintenance) and, provided that you never earn more than the level at which you start haing to repay it (£21,000 currently), you will never have to repay a penny.

I only realised this recently when several people I know in their 50s and 60s started doing degrees, and they explained it to me.

(More info eg http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/9800374/Loophole-Ill-never-have-to-repay-my-student-loan.html )

Could you tell us a bit more about the format of the Future Learn study, please?

5:55 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

The format is very simple:each course is free, takes a minimum of a number of hours / week (my course was two hours although I found myself following links & usually did four - five hours / week) and is accessible via your PC / tablet / laptop. There are no set qualifications required to join.
I think it is advertising for the uni's involved & may attract future customers. It may also allow them to explore the use of a mix of paid and free on-line courses. It is worth having a look at the courses on offer, sciences & arts.
I started my history studies as an evening student, went f/t for 1 1/2 years but I stupidly quit & returned to f/t work when my partner announced she was pregnant when perhaps I should have continued p/t. C'est la vie...

7:02 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Oh! Thank you for the link as I am now reading up various bits of info on-line.

7:02 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

I looked at this for a bit last time you posted the link. How do the courses go? Is it a set time or do you have a day or so to watch it? I'm interested but I'd like to know more about how it works.

12:05 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

Hi Scoakat.
The course was for eight weeks although two of them were holiday & no studying. It unfolds week by week and you can do some on-line each day or save it up for one or two days. It was a mixture of video, audio and written documents.
During the R 3rd course we looked at language, the rise of printing, lifestyles and food / drink, warfare, 'class', etc... A mixture of themes which we looked at but you can then follow external links to explore things of interest in depth. There is no set studying, just fit it in when & where you can. There is also comments and discussion below each bit so you can engage with others there. Very informative and hugely entertaining.

11:04 am  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

But no required written component, and no 'tests'?

10:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home