Friday, June 21, 2013



The above cartoon aptly describes my last two weeks at work. Long hours with most of my time spent with the old bill and sat in custody suites as I searched for secure beds for people whom I had assessed under the Mental Health Act. The assessments themselves are generally straightforward, whether it be in police cells, medical wards or someone's home. Finding an appropriate bed, arranging transport, placating other agencies all whilst I grasp an overheated mobile phone to my ear as I speak with the umpteenth hospital manager or nurse and fax acres of softwood forests into the ether only to receive a resounding 'No!' Happily, custody sergeants are immensely understanding and helpful as are my colleagues in the various crisis teams. I shall be donating packets of chocolate hobnobs to them to show my gratitude for their helping a frazzled and tired old AMHP out. I now have some days off including much accrued time off in lieu (TOIL). The trust refuses to pay for overtime hence AMHP's tend to accrue lots of toil and if we don't take it within a specific timescale we lose it. The week ahead is my final week as a paid employee of the trust hence I have to squeeze that toil in before I skip gaily out the door on July the first. Oddly enough though, I have enjoyed the work including the extremely stressful aspects which I guess explains my attraction to difficult challenges and my desire to always stretch myself and achieve at work. However, my plans for the first few weeks of retirement is relaxation and enjoying the luxury of having time to do things for myself. We'll see how that pans out...

The workmen have started to dismantle the old workshops at the back of our houses in preparation for building five small houses in what is a tiny plot of land. Mrs C is unhappy with it and believes it will be social housing for feckless tearaways and assorted ne'r do wells. I am keeping an open mind although some of our privacy will be gone as will the peaceful haven it is currently. But the space is small and I cannot imagine there will be much room in these properties. Little boxes made of ticky tacky indeed...  

                    

TTFN...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home