Friday, April 27, 2012


I have been informed I have to upgrade blogger... I'm not too sure about this but I guess I will give it a go.
I am gradually recovering from the leurgy and back at work although today is thankfully a study day. My get up and go got up and went. Wrapped in several layers with the heating on and an endless stream of tea, coffee and hot chocolate got me through. The diet gave up the ghost over the past week as the comfort of carbohydrates (Toast!) provided succour. It is never pleasant to be ill but this has come at a most inconvenient time... right in the middle of my placement but I can make the time up over the next five weeks.
On a brighter note, twitter, radio and the kindle provided entertainment during those spells where I wasn't in the arms of morpheus. I lost track of time during the week and the wintry weather hasn't helped. It's nearly May and we're in drought conditions where it has rained every day for the last two weeks. With mini tornadoes, monsoon rains and gales... nothing more points up the ineptitude of government and business investment in the utilities than the wettest drought on record. Let's invite millions of people to settle in south east England, build more houses but inconveniently forget about any necessary infrastructure such as reservoirs, pipes, transport, etc... which was struggling to cope prior to 1997. I have been following politics and news on twitter which does offer some 'unique' perspectives. Lamp posts and rope is a frequently stated response to political issues as well as all the other nonsense that goes on there.
One tweet did cheer me up and that was an unsolicited tweet I received from Mary Beard whose programme 'Meet the Romans' has been on BBC2. As a keen amateur 'historian' and lover of all things historical I have avidly followed this programme. I love her passion, enthusiasm for and her knowledge of classical history as well as her humourous and earthy presentation. Absolutely wonderful. A critic in the UK has picked fault because she is not an airbrushed flawless blonde weather presenter with a boob job. I have said it before and I'll say it again, that flawless plastic bimbos don't rock my boat and I have always had a penchant for older attractive women and Mary Beard does tick that box for me. Notwithstanding that, it is her knowledge which attracts me into watching the programme in the first place and everything about her presentation that keeps me hooked and watching it. If you get the chance to see it please do so as I can highly recommend it.
Sadly, No.1 did not get invited back for another interview for the apprenticeship. He is considering a return to college to study IT as there are no jobs at all locally. Two related news items came up regarding employment which thoroughly pissed me off. The first was a tweet fom Herman van Rompuy stating there are 2 million jobs going in the eu and the second was a news story about six people employed in new jobs in Kent but not turning up for work because it was too wet / better off on benefits / couldn't be arsed. The first we can well do without and it is well past the time for leaving the eu and the latter... words fail me. I guess No.1 could move to Finland or Austria to see if there is any work but failing that: check out the latest unemployment figures for young people in Spain, Greece, Portugal, Italy and Ireland as well as over here in the UK. I am going to boil the kettle for tea but I sometimes think I may as well boil my head when I read this nonsense.
TTFN.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

As I repeatedly say, there is not a water problem in this country, there is a water distribution problem. As you so rightly point out, lack of investment/planning has left the SE in a real mess, infrastructure wise, and the rest of the country in a right mess employment wise.

Could you ask him what country those 2 million jobs are in? Probably eastern europe methinks: the jobs are those left by all the immigrants who've discarded them to come over here, earning money to send home, rather than spend in the economy in which they've earnt it.

Sorry, but I hate the way blogger have turned nice blogs into something else.

1:20 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

My thoughts exactly BW. He might be top of the tree as far as eu monkeys go but stupidity clearly reaches those parts. As for blogger... I'll give it a go although I am still unsure as to the changes.

6:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home