Sunday, January 22, 2012





It has been a busy week with building work, poorly cat and mayhem at work. The above photo shows a tired and sad Tigger wearing her buster cone and with half her tail shaved. We noticed she was irritable, avoided coming indoors and when I picked her up she nearly took my face off. The vet found two nasty bites on her tail and a nasty infection in her tail and back. The amount of pus and blood that came out was astonishing. Little wonder she was irritable. An overnight stay and treatment returned a much happier kitty and relieved me of £170. That was my night out cancelled plus cancelled nights out for the forseeable future. She is slowly recuperating and attemping to remove her buster cone whenever our backs are turned. She is also her usual friendly and happy self.

The builder has been, removed all the plaster from five walls and replastered to an excellent standard. A lot of disruption but it is well worth it with the damp and damaged walls repaired and the house feels warmer with no damp smells. We are just awaiting some quotes for a new double glazed window. But we can crack on with some much needed redecorating. It feels like a new year and a fresh start. We popped out to the council tip today to get rid of some rubbish as part of this fresh start and they are flogging off old bikes next Friday. I'm planning to attend the auction and hopefully pick up a secondhand bike for renovation. I also bought seeds ready for the spring planting with the emphasis again on tomatoes, chillies, strawberries and herbs. All positive and looking towards the future. With the redecoration it will feel like we have our home back and the back room can be converted into a study/den/mini gym... well, an exercise bike and some weights so calling it a gym is rather too grand a title. It will give me a quiet place where I can read and relax without the distraction of the TV and surrounded by books as well as listen to the radio.


Plaster removed in the lounge. I will add the "after" picture when we have redecorated.

The back room will keep me out of Mrs C's way and keep me happily occupied when I am not at work. There will be space for plants as well as a small corner for my home brew efforts. As for work... the main reason for my eagerness to set up the back room is to have an oasis of calm and a place to escape to. The cuts are beginning to bite, referrals are increasing with unreasonable expectations of our magic powers to cure all ills. Hence the need for a quiet bolt hole. Time to minister to the cat...

TTFN.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Sounds an excellent idea. Pleased it's all coming together at last.

I'm more and more convinced that many people being referred (or self-referring in some areas) to MH services actually need referring elsewhere first.

What so many people are calling 'MH' is what I would call money management or time management issues. Or bad cases of the "I wants and can't haves because I'm a lazy so and so, so I'll be depressed and get a sick note instead"s.

Unless one solves the underlying practical issues, all the drugs or counselling in the world won't make a bit of difference, and their cycles will perpetuate.

Your experience may be different of course ;)

10:00 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

You've hit the nail on the head for many of the referrals we get. Relationship, housing, finances, grief at the loss of a loved one, lifestyle or job. Some really do want an instant solution & a tantrum is the result when we say no & point them elsewhere.
Happily, we do not issue sick notes & we frequently quote Nice guidelines re. anti depressants. They are not magic pills but people's expectations. We also shake our heads when we hear "The counsellor didn't solve my problem". Counselling 101: you resolve your own issues with the counsellor there beside you. GP's, police, A & E,etc... see our team as an easy place to park their problems because it then is no longer their problem. The fun & games ensue when we say No.

2:41 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

"people's expecations of medicine" Doh!

I also love the line..." Ican't take tablets, they're not good for me" whilst drinking 5 litres cider/day and smoking cannabis.

2:43 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

I do think that the time-limited nature of a lot of basic CBT doled out by relatively young and inexperienced 'therapists' (round here anyway - maybe it's different elsewhere) is to blame. No-one is going to sort themselves out in 6 to 8 bi-weekly sessions of 45 minutes, which seems to be about the norm.

Personally I prefer solution-focused and more eclectic type approaches with these sort of client groups. But, I'm a few years away from front-line delivery now. And I only worked in educational(ly-based) settings.

Despite this, I have kept up my CPD and professional memberships, so I am still listed in various places and so do still get numerous corporate organisations ringing me up requesting input or supervision for those providing 1:1 input (largely for corporate scheme referrals - which are hugely increased). They don't seem to be able to grasp that I am almost retired... Fortunately.

6:34 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

What happened to my reply?
To recap the lost comment: I agree, SBT is basic & only a limited in scope, intelligent & emotional engagement & no. of sessions around here.
I prefer solution focused brief therapy alongside a mish mash of other entangled interventions plus a good dose of life experience, common sense and empathy.

9:35 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Bugger..."CBT is basic..."
SBT? Scottish behavioural therapy involving a pint of heavy, a wee dram & deep fried Mars bars!

9:36 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

So, if experienced practitioners agree that CBT is not the answer, why do the governmint insist on only funding this sort of non-good-evidence based 'therapy'?

A lot of people have a bad experience of CBT and forthwith dismiss all kinds of therapy as a waste of time, therefore never having that life-changing moment when the penny finally drops and they realise that they can control their life, if they make different choices.

7:25 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

CBT is cheap when bought 'off the shelf', applied by cheaper workers & is easily audited by the box tickers. Managers also understand it as opposed to the touchy freely therapies which aren't so easily measured. It is difficult to measure the therapeutic relationship & it is noticeable this is more successful from experienced qualified staff. i.e. the more expensive staff.

8:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home