Thursday, April 14, 2011


After over imbibing of the barley and hops last night I am having a quiet day in. Mrs C. is unwell so my day off is a welcome quiet one administering to her needs. As always on a day off a large cafetiere of freshly ground coffee sits before me and is fortifying the inner man. It struck me I have no idea what a coffee plant looks like but with google I have now rectified that, as well as learning the history of coffee. Interesting that black slaves en route to the Arabic peninsula from Africa chewed the beans and brought it with them. Maybe Cameroon can apologise and offer some largesse for that because the British empire made an appearance in that area several centuries later.  It is fascinating to see how trade, especially of sugar, coffee, etc... made the various empires, led to the growth of insurance (Lloyds)  and enhanced banking, as well as the despicable trade in slaves. Back to the coffee... I tend to avoid it on working days because of its laxative effect and we rarely have time to brew up a cuppa. Mrs C. drinks a lot of instant coffee but she refuses to touch the real stuff. As with my previous experiments to make the perfect Martini I have been trying various coffee brands including Jamaican Blue Mountain. I still haven't hit on a favourite yet although I like the Java beans. For the sake of convenience I generally buy a supermarket Italian blend for ground coffee and whichever beans take my fancy at the time. I will also get around to trying "Camp" coffee which I remember from my childhood as something my mother drank.



As for over imbibing last night... four bottles of various excellent beers thanks to Tesco's 'Four bottles for a fiver'. Until I accompanied Mrs C. to buy her baccy in Sainsbugs and found their beers reduced even further! However, I had planned on today being a lazy day after the frenetic activity of the past week at work and a much needed day to recharge my batteries.
TTFN.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

You don't sound like you're hurting tooo bad over last night's beer.... Enjoy your day and my best to the Mrs.

12:12 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

You're right. It's a combination of feeling somewhat wrung out after four beers and hayfever.

9:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home